Home > Remodel vs. Refinishing
Remodel vs. Refinishing
Re-Bath System vs. Refinishing
10 key differences between the Re-Bath System and tub refinishing
1. Water serves as a catalyst for a peeling reaction
• When a Re-Bath liner is installed, our patented system of quality adhesives will adhere to the original tub for life.
The liner is guaranteed for life not to leak.
2. The smallest gap between the drain flange and the beginning of the porcelain will start a peeling
reaction. Note: It is impossible to mask the drain perfectly and consistently every time.
• Your new Re-Bath tub liner will be an exact copy of your current tub. The drain flange will fit tightly on your new
bathtub liner; plumber’s putty or similar approved plumbing sealants are used as if a new tub were installed in your
3. The drain is the most vulnerable part of the bathtub because of water activity.
• Re-Bath uses a wide variety of drain adapters to assure a tight and perfect fit.
4. Any object that falls in the tub, i.e. razors, shampoo bottles, hair brush, can cause chips or cracks in
the epidermal or outside layer and starts a peeling process.
• Re-Bath products are manufactured from durable, high-gloss DuraBath SSP (Solid Surface Polymer), which
is also used in sports helmets and certain airplane windshields. Re-Bath tub liners will not dent, chip, peel or rust.
As long as you use the approved cleaners, your liner is guaranteed for life (*).
5. If any residue is present after the etching process and is not wiped out, it will cause a break down in
the chemical adhesion process thus starting a peeling action.
• There is no etching of any kind when installing the Re-Bath tub liner.
6. Temperature conditions play a big part in the success of refinishing. A tub should be at room
temperature when painting. If a tub is too cold or too hot, it will not allow the paint to adhere properly,
thus causing a peeling action.
• Re-Bath adhesives are developed to provide lifelong adhesion under any temperature condition.
7. When applying the paint, if there are any bubbles or air pockets on the surface of the tub, it will not
allow the paint to maintain a constant chemical reaction, thus causing a breakdown and a peeling action.
• The Re-Bath tub liner is an exact copy of your tub thus guaranteeing a tight fit without air pockets.
8. Once a bathtub has been refinished, it is very difficult to successfully refinish again. This is because
of a major inconsistency with the surface of the tub.
• The Re-Bath tub liner is good for life, guaranteed by both the dealer and the manufacturer of the product (*).
9. When refinishing a bathtub, especially one in poor condition, a refinisher will have to apply generous
amounts of paint over a damaged tub to hide its condition. This makes the bathtub extremely slippery.
Note: This is a common problem with polyurethane base paint
• Re-Bath tub liners come standard with “BathGuard”, and anti skid surface applied at the factory.
10. Refinishing is very sensitive to the slightest amount of abrasive and if used will cause a peeling
• Re-Bath tub liners are made out of impact resistant DuraBath SSP. Should an occasional scuff mark occur, it
can be polished using a fine polishing compound commonly available at any automotive store or “Gel Gloss” which
can be bought at your local hardware store.